- Maintain a fully functional Biotechnology Centre that would address developmental issues in the following core areas; Food Biotechnology, Agro-Biotechnology, Industrial Biotechnology, Environmental Biotechnology, Molecular Biology and Natural Products.
- Provide facilities for teaching, research and training in the field of Biotechnology to students particularly at the MSc and PhD levels in areas including biocatalyst, interferon, novel enzymes, antibiotics, natural product, metabolic engineering, bio-fertilizer etc
- Provide training to personnel in public and private sectors towards the application of science and engineering principles to processing, development, design and analysis of compounds/materials useful to agriculture, healthcare and environment.
- Provide modern diagnostic system and product testing techniques for improved healthcare delivery and industrial production of goods & services.
- Facilitate collaboration and participation with relevant scientists from across the world.
- Establish linkages in the area of research with relevant bodies, agencies and institutions across the globe.